It's no secret that here at Wanderlust People we are travel advocates. When we're not travelling we are dreaming about our next trip or reminiscing about trips gone by. Whether it's the memory of someone we've met, something we've tasted, a vista that blew our minds or a personal encounter that moved us to tears - we can testify that not only does travel change us but we would even be so bold as to say that it makes us better people.
I could go on for days about how travel changes you, but for me the proof is fairly personal. Here are some of the top ways that travel has changed me:
1. It has made me more open-minded. You can't possibly travel the world and experience other cultures and people and not let that rub off on you and the way you see the world.
2. I've made friends all over the world. From fellow travellers to local people, one of the best things about travelling is that you collect friends not just photos!
3. I've become passionate about using my skills to help other people. Experiencing poverty firsthand has led me to become passionate about making a difference in the lives of others.
4. I've had some of the biggest, challenging conversations on the road. I think it's because when you travel you are outside your comfort zone in so many ways. You experience freedom and allow yourself the time and space to contemplate in a way that you don't ordinarily have time for in your day to day life. And for me that's always led to amazing conversations with travelling partners (usually my husband). We contemplate how and why we live our lives the way we do, what we do for work, how we spend our money, what are values are. Yes we argue. Yes we make up. And yes it most definitely changes me!
5. I've been inspired. It's in those moments of inspiration that some of my biggest dreams have been born. You can't be surrounded by beauty - nature, architecture, people, places - and not be inspired! And for me, inspiration in my travels has allowed me space to dream big and imagine what the future will look like. Actually Elissa and I wrote the first plan for Wanderlust People on a plane coming back from Indonesia!
If that's not enough inspiration - check out this article on Buzzfeed of 19 Ways That Travel Changes you Forever
Let us know what are some of the ways that travel has impacted you! We would love to hear from you.