Leather is one of those fashion items that becomes part of you. If you invest in a special piece - maybe a beautiful bag or a really sleek wallet - it really can last a lifetime. But if you totally neglect your much-loved wallet it may not last the distance.
The flipside is - you have to be practical. I mean who has time for buffing and polishing and preserving every item of leather you own. Let's not get ridiculous! So we've done the research for you to come up with some hot tips on practical ways you can love your leather.
1. Know your leather. Is it finished or unfinished? Finished leather generally is flat in colour and is harder, colder and stiffer to touch than unfinished leather which is soft and warm to touch and more likely to be a rich colour.
2. Decide what kind of leather lover you want to be. One of the great things about leather is that it develops a life-story of it's own over time. If you're happy with a bit of change, some well-developed wrinkle lines and creases. Then you don't really need to stress! But if you want to preserve your leather so it looks like new forever then you will need to work a bit harder.
3. Dry leather SLOWLY! If your bag or wallet cops some rain exposure or is splashes with a wayward beverage, don't take to it with a hairdryer! Leather can warp or shrink if exposed to too much heat too quickly. Instead, give it a quick wipe. Room temperature and gentle air flow is always best for drying!
4. For cleaning, this is really dependent on the type of leather you're treating. Finished leather can simply be wiped with a soft, damp cloth which unfinished leather (like suede) should be brushed with a soft brush.
5. If your leather product gets too dry and begins to crack - you might need to condition it. Finding a suitable leather condition can be tricky! There are a range of different products you can test but we love this leather care beewax dubbin by Gundara.
6. Finally be KIND to your leather. If you treat your leather right it will be by your side for life. So that means, don't stuff your wallet full to overflowing so the leather stretches out of shape. Because it will NEVER go back to it's original shape. And don't pile things on top of it or let it get wet or sweaty. JUST BE NICE!