Since we renovated our home, I've been super non-committal with my decor. For a multitude of reasons - not wanting to put unnecessary holes in the walls, not want to invest in any new, costly pieces, feeling like a lot of our old art doesn't really match the new look of our home and just not wanting to deal with any more projects after what felt like a mega-long season of renovating. But one thing I have become obsessed with is house plants. These green beauties tick all the boxes in my current decor crisis - they are relatively cheap, they are beautiful, they freshen up a space without putting holes in any walls and they suit any style. And you can't deny that a pop of green looks absolutely divine against a freshly painted white wall, am I right?
There are also a plethora of reasons why plants should be our go-to-decor fix. Here are some of my favourites:
1. Plants have the amazing ability to impact the air in your home. Some plants help to clean the air we breathe by eliminating toxins (the spider plant and rubber plants are particular good at this) while others like the snake plant is one of the few plants that releases oxygen into the air at night (most plants do this during the day).
2. Plants are also very clever at either releasing or retaining moisture. Plants are responsible for about 10% of the moisture in the air we breathe. Some palms are really good at releasing moisture which makes them the perfect addition to your home during the drier winter months while succulents and cacti are good at retaining moisture - so bump up your home supplies during the wet/hot seasons.
3. Plants can legitimately improve your general wellbeing and even productivity! Studies have shown that having plants in your home or office can reduce stress. Amazing right?!?! Other studies have even shown that hospital patients who have plants or flowers in their room or who look out onto a garden are more likely to make a faster recovery.
And if that's not enough to convert you - you can't argue with the fact that they just look damn pretty! And they honestly don't have to be difficult to keep. These few simple tips should keep your house plants feeling loved and looking gorgeous all year round.
1. Make sure plants have well drained soil. If they don't have good drainage most plants will eventually get root rot and die. And then you will be a plant murderer.
2. Put them in a suitable position. Some plants like full sun, some like shade. Take note of what each individual plant likes and place them to suit. They will flourish if you put them in a place they love.
3. Water - suitably! All plants need water to survive but some more than others. Succulents and cacti need very little while tropical love frequent water.
4. Occasionally fertilise. I've been giving my indoor plants a semi-regular liquid fertiliser treatment over summer and it's like a beauty treatment! They love it and the leaf colour is a noteworthy reward for my efforts.
So go forth and plant! If you need some more inspiration, here are some of my current favourites.